Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 20: To Zuni

Back to New Mexico.
I did not take any pictures at Zuni (I eschewed the $10 permit knowing I was visiting Acoma the next day). I did buy this eagle carving though (picture somewhat blurred). I had stopped at the Turquoise Gallery, on the Rez (and possibly owned by Arabs as more than one Zuni told me [but I never did go in]), but before entering, a dark-skinned Zuni, Averell Lamy, asked me if I wanted to purchase this carving for $20 from his cousin, Jamie Mahootie, who was sitting in a parked and packed pick-up truck next to my car. He introduced me to Jamie, who later, after a walk and talk with Averell to the ATM and back (I had forgot to get cash earlier, expecting rather foolishly that credit card would do me fine [which it would have at the Turquoise Gallery and did in a Zuni gift shop later, but doesn't exactly work with such a street transaction]), and after my telling him my intent was to buy an Eagle carving, told me his name translated as White Eagle.
El Morro National Monument, once Zuni land.

No comments: